As I sit back and realize that 2012 is quickly coming to an end, I start to dream about what 2013 holds for my family and I. Normally when I think about these things, I get a vague idea of where I’d like to be and then I just leave it at that. No plan of action; No specific dreams or goals; Nothing to motivate me towards the future I want to have.
So this year I decided to do something different: I’m writing my goals down and posting them here for the whole Internet to see. By putting them out on the Internet, I’m making myself more accountable because it’s now public. While this hasn’t exactly helped in the past, I’m hoping that this year will be different.
So, in somewhat of a priority order, here is what I hope to accomplish in 2013:
1. Make family a higher priority
Looking back at 2012, there were many times where I put my wants and desires ahead of my family’s. Even after my family expanded from 2 to 3, I was still able to be selfish and get my desires before any one else’s.
I plan to change this in 2013 by consciously choosing to lay down my life for my family. Some specific steps include:
- Limiting myself to only 2 plays this year (one of which I’m already cast in)
- Taking my lady on a date at least once every two weeks if not once a week
- Getting her flowers at least once a month if not more
- In general spend more time romancing her instead of romancing myself and my dreams
2. Get healthy
I am the heaviest I have ever weighed in my life right now. I don’t like that I weigh as much as I do. It’s starting to become more and more of a problem. My second goal for 2013 is to lose my excess weight and start building muscle.
My goal weight for December 31st, 2013 is 155 pounds.
That’s how much I weighed when I graduated high school. I don’t see any reason why I can’t get back to that weight.
To help me get to that goal, I’ve come up with some actions I can take:
- Start running – specifically start and finish the Couch to 5k running program. I’ve started it twice and failed after the 3rd week each time. This year I plan to complete couch to 5k and continue to run after I’ve completed it. My ultimate goal being to run an entire 5k fun run before the end of 2013.
- Eat better – This is a generic filler simply because I don’t know how to eat well. I have no idea how to eat healthy. I intend to learn though. I’m going to figure out what my body needs in order to function properly and then I’m gonna start doing it.
- No pop for the entire year – I enjoy my Dr. Pepper way too much and need to cut it back. Plus I think know that my body is addicted to caffeine and that will make losing weight that much harder.
Update: I have done some more refining to this goal.
3. Become a better Web Designer
I have been slowly migrating towards becoming a Web Designer over the past year or so. My work at my office has shifted from mainly answering phones to mainly writing Web pages and answering the occasional phone call. I want to become better and I’d like to eventually branch out into free lance work. It would make a great secondary income.
Here are some of my specific steps to reach this goal:
- Start Web Design portfolio – I currently have 0 projects in my portfolio and that needs to change. My goal is to finish at least 4 designs from scratch and use them to start my portfolio.
- Finish PHP and MySQL book – I’ve owned a book on php and mysql for 3 or 4 years. I’ve started it several times but have yet to complete it. I intend to complete it this year. Many of the concepts in the book are still applicable today and will really help to round out my web dev skills.
4. Become a better writer in general
I do enjoy writing most of the time but there are times when it becomes a big chore. In an attempt to get myself into a habit of writing, I’ve come up with a few action steps:
- Write at least one blog post a week – I want to start expressing my thoughts and ideas on how more consistent basis. A blog is the good way to do that. Not to mention, the more I practice writing, the better I’ll get at it (in theory).My goal is not to publish one blog a week but to simply write a blog post a week. This means that I can’t write 4 or 5 in the row and then let them auto publish themselves; that defeats the purpose. My goal is to intentionally write one blog post each week for people to read.
- Write at least one guest post on wpdaily.co – I would love to start generating more traffic to my site and get my name out there more. One of the ways to do that is to start posting on other people’s blogs.One of the blogs I follow that has gotten me back into writing in the first place is TentBlogger, which is a site all about blogging and how you can become a blogger yourself. The writer at TentBlogger, John Saddington, has started to new site called wpdaily.co, talking all about WordPress, the blogging platform which I am currently using. They are looking to get more guest bloggers in 2013 and I am going to make sure that I get to be one of them.
So those are all of my goals for 2013 and how I plan to get there. It’s going to be a lot of work but well worth it by this time next year. I’ll be posting my progress on all of these goals and keep track of how I do on completing them.
Do you have any dreams for 2013? How can you make those dreams a reality? What’s stopping you from trying?